Gucci sells women’s, men’s and matching accessories. Since 2011 Gucci even has its own children’s collection. You can also buy fragrances, jewelry and watches from Gucci. The prices are very high class. It all began in 1921 with the master saddler Guccio Gucci, who had specialized in leather goods and luggage in his shop. He founded the Gucci brand! With resources becoming scarce during the Second World War, Guccio had to become creative and use natural products such as hemp, linen and bamboo in his designs. His handbag with bamboo handle is still known today. He was inspired by equestrian sport, which was reflected in his special field of fine leather goods and handbag. This special field helped the brand to become known worldwide.
Gucci: Designer and Style
Tom Ford, this famous American designer designed the new Gucci collections from 1990 to 2004. His designs for women’s fashion were sensual and elegant combined with bold, eye-catching cuts. For men’s fashion he designed clothes in dandy style, i.e. fashion that stands out from the crowd and dares to break styles. Tom Ford’s collections have made Gucci a coveted luxury label and have won recognition around the world.
In April 2004 Alessandra Faccinetti, Frida Giannini and John Ray followed in Ford’s footsteps. Faccinetti was responsible for Die Damen-Mode, Giannini for the accessories and Ray for the menswear. But already in 2006 Giannini took over all tasks. It was able to maintain its success for several years, but after 2013 sales figures declined and it left its position in 2015.
Alessandro Michele is the new successor. He only has a few days for his first women’s collection. He is missing out on a radical change in Gucci’s image in 2015. The new collection is colourful, wild, with patterns, animal and flower motifs. Combined with old-fashioned accessories such as nerd glasses, the cuts are reminiscent of the 1970s. Typical of the collection is also the unmistakable Gucci lettering. With its bold collection, it breaks the gender boundaries. Fashion is presented casually, carefree and cheerfully by young models. In addition, the shops will be redesigned. At first many critics are sceptical, but then a huge hype arises around the label and it is described as the most popular in the whole world. Alessandro Michele receives many international awards.
View this post on Instagram
Previewing the #GucciDapperDan collection, ready-to-wear and accessories by @dapperdanharlem and the House inspired by pieces from the designer’s archive and his world. A portfolio of images shot by Ari Marcopoulos @ari_marcopoulos_official show the collection on young faces from #Harlem and models on the streets of the neighborhood, where Dapper Dan’s atelier is located. #AlessandroMichele The collection is available on Gucci.com and in selected stores from tomorrow.
Interview with Alessandro Michele
+ AD: Do you know?
important data: Guccio Gucci, designer and perfume creator<7h2>
- 1921 Guccio Gucci founds the company in Florence
- 1938 Gucci opens a store on a prestigious shopping street in Rome
- 1939 Additional Gucci stores are opened in Florence, Rome and Milan.
- 1930-1940 Due to World War II, Gucci mainly uses alternative materials such as hemp, linen, jute and bamboo.
- 1953 The first store in New York City is opened
- 1953 Guccio Gucci dies. His death triggers a big family argument about the inheritance
- 1960 The intricate G, which represents a stirrup, becomes a trademark
- From 1960 The brand develops into a globally recognized status Symbol
- 1970 The first clothing line appears
- 1974 The first perfume, the women’s fragrance Gucci No. 1 is launched
- 1976 The first men’s fragrance follows
- 1981 The first fashion show of the brand takes place
- 1983 The company is on the verge of collapse due to property disputes
- 1993 The family business is sold to an Arab investment group and is therefore no longer owned by the Gucci family for the first time.
- about 1995 Gucci becomes a luxury label again thanks to US-American designer Tom Ford
- 1998 The company is now based in London
- 2010 The company moves to Switzerland
- 2011 A Gucci Museum is opened in Florence
- 2018 The Gucci Museum is now called Gucci-Garden. In addition, a Gucci restaurant opens.
+ AD: Do you know?
Gucci Show: Last Collection / Fashion Show 2018
The way the Gucci brand presents its fashion is unique and unmistakable. It is non-individual, special and above all striking. The shows are inspired by the film world and indeed they remind of a science fiction film. Especially the show in February 2018 attracted attention. The models were wearing white make-up on their faces, walking down the catwalk with staring glances and transparent garment bags over their clothes. There were noises like in an operating theatre and also the surroundings reminded of such a hall. But that wasn’t the highlight for a long time. Some of the models have been transformed into futuristic mythical creatures. They had 3 eyes, wore their heads under their arms or looked like the typical Gucci snake. In addition there were special effects, which were combined by digitally created and 3D effects. Of course you wonder how Allessandro Michele came up with the idea of presenting his fashion in this way, but he knows exactly what he wants to say! Each of his shows is supposed to transport something to the people. Individualism is the basic principle! Every day we have to redesign ourselves and ask ourselves again and again whether we are ourselves or just a personality adapted to our environment. He encourages us to use all our possibilities to develop ourselves further and to be the person we would like to be. His last fashion show should be a farewell to the past, because the world will never be the same again. His collection is intended to show that the present is quickly becoming the past. We can put the past behind us, but we can also learn from it and use it. Gucci should take away our fear of the future and help us see it as an opportunity to do everything that seems impossible to us.
Everyone knows the brand logo, it is an intricate, double G. It should remind of a stirrup, since the label was formerly inspired by equestrian sport. The typical colours are red, green and white. The brand’s first top seller was the bamboo bag, a handbag with a bamboo handle. Until today it is the trademark of the company and everyone should know it! The bag can be found again and again on stars like Grace Kelly or the Queen. The brand also became famous for the Jackie O scarf. It was designed in 1966 for Jackie Kennedy. Today the brand is known for unusual, bold designs, as well as for extraordinary combinations and stylistic breaks. 2018 the Gucci belt with a brass buckle is the absolute must have. It is available in different colours and designs.
More about Gucci – Brand & Online Shop
- 1996 Tom Ford “Designer of the Year”
- 1998 “European Company of the Year”
- 2009 Frida Giannini “International Designer of the Year” of the Japanese Fashion Editor’s Club (FEC)