Oudh, also known as agarwood or eaglewood, is one of the most fascinating and expensive ingredients in the world of perfumes. Extracted from the resin of the agar tree, this fragrance has a long history in perfumery and is highly prized for its unique aroma and rarity. Along with ambergris, tuberose,
- Agar tree: The agar tree (Aquilaria) is native to Southeast Asia and is often prized for its aromatic resins. Oudh is formed when the agar tree produces its resin due to fungal infection or injury.
- Aging process: The precious Oudh aroma develops over many years. The older the resin, the more precious and complex the fragrance becomes.
Oudh is known for its deep and complex aroma, often described as sensual, woody, earthy, smoky and slightly sweet. It can have a wide range of notes that vary depending on age and quality. Some of the most common fragrance profiles of Oudh are:
- Woody: Oudh contains woody notes reminiscent of dry wood and smoke.
- Earth: An earthy note gives the fragrance depth and strength.
- Sweetness: Often oudh contains subtle sweet nuances that provide an interesting contrast to the heaviness of the fragrance.
Use of oudh in perfumes
Oudh is a sought-after ingredient in perfumery and is often referred to as “liquid gold”. Perfumers use oudh in varying concentrations to create fragrances with different intensities and characters. Oudh can be used as a heart note, a base note, or even as the unique selling point of a perfume. Some popular oudh fragrances are:
Germany - Spain - USA
- Tom Ford Oud Wood: This fragrance combines oudh with spices to create a warm and sensual note.
- Kilian Pure Oud: a perfume that captures the pure essence of oudh and emphasizes the depth of this fragrance.
- Creed Royal Oud: This fragrance combines oudh with citrus and spices for a royal and sophisticated aroma.
Oudh is one of the most expensive fragrances on the market. The price varies depending on the origin, age, and quality of the oudh. High-quality oudh can cost thousands of dollars per kilo, and some rare varieties reach even higher prices. The complex extraction and long aging process contribute to the high cost.
Oud: Rare and fascinating
Oudh is undoubtedly one of the most fascinating and luxurious fragrances in the world of perfumes. Its rich and complex aroma has fascinated the senses of people all over the world. Although oudh has a proud price tag, its unique and enticing aroma is essential for many perfume lovers. A perfume containing Oudh can provide an olfactory journey to the Orient, spreading an aura of luxury and sophistication.