Tommy Hilfiger, Guido Maria Kretschmer, Wolfgang Joop or Calvin Klein – they made it. They are the so-called fashion Olympics of the industry. It takes hard work, talent and hard work to keep up with you. You’re interested in fashion? And would you also like to work as a designer in the fashion world? FIV Magazine has inquired for you and found out what you should be able to do as a future designer.
+ AD + Kennst Du schon?
Training – the way to becoming a designer
In the school education to the so-called fashion designer there are the following contents:
- Mode drawing : Develop and design model lines and draw
- fashion history
- Computer processing : Drawing and editing sketches on the PC
- Cut pattern creation
- Materials science : Handling fabric and accessories (sewing machine etc.)
- Conducting market analyses
- Presentation of your own fashion
Universität – Berlin, Hamburg, Düsseldorf, Munich – The Cities of Fashion
Fashion design is also offered as a course of studies throughout Germany. A large number of universities offer the best entry opportunities. If you want to go this way, you have to take an entrance examination. An artistic homework is required, which is submitted promptly. With a subsequent job interview you get a place if it goes very well. Some universities even offer star designers like Vivienne Westwood as a professor.
Internships – The Career
Even the best fashion designers have collected internships all over the world to take experience and knowledge with them. You can do these internships in various fashion labels, fashion chains and small design studios. The chances on the labour market are mixed. The competition never sleeps and just trainings and internships are the A&O to get better. If you manage to make a name for yourself and stay on the ball, nothing stands in the way of a career.
Top Universities of Fashion Design
- France: ESMOD /École de la chambre syndicale de la couture
- London: Central Saint Martins College of Art & Design / Royal College of Art
- New York: Parsons, the new school of design
- Mailand: Instituto Marangoni
- Tokyo: Bunka Fashion College
- Germany: AMD Akademie Mode & Design Düsseldorf
What Does it Take to Be A Fashion Designer?
Become a Fashion Designer